Okay yes. Lately I am obsessed with Matthew McConaughey. He is the coolest and I just can’t help it! I re-watched his episode on the Joe Rogan Experience, which I just noticed was broadcast on my birthday! So if that’s not a sign, I don’t know what is!
Anyway, he mentions the things that become habit in his life when he’s vibing high or as he puts it, when he’s “rolling” and I wanted to share these tips with you:
- Journal even when things are good – We have a tendency to only journal when we’re experiencing some sort of distress in our lives. We dissect our failures, but we don’t examine our wins. We should journal the happy times too, so when we fall out of alignment we can see what to do in order to re-calibrate. He says to look at the things you were doing in your life when you were happy, and to even take note of what you were eating, drinking, and who were you hanging out with. So that the next time we get into a rut we can turn to that journal entry and see what we need to do to get back on track.
- Check in with yourself before checking in with the world – Check in with YOU when you wake up instead of checking your phone or heading to the kitchen. This can look something like having a conversation between “me and me” as he put it, reading something, writing something. To put my spin on this I’d focus on: how I currently feel vs. how I want to feel, and what I can do to get to those feels.
- Don’t lose your wink – He says when he loses his wink it means he’s taking life too seriously. Some tips on not losing your wink: laugh more and don’t take anything personally, which, side note: is one of the Four Agreements.
- Don’t ask permission – Have the confidence to do the things you want to do, and believe in those things!
- End your day with reflection – Go back through the day, and make a note of what tomorrow’s going to look like – plan for your tomorrow.
- Make to-do lists – Write down everything you have to do in the day including simple things like: kiss your wife, listen to that song you like, take a poop (I think he was joking, but he did say it), read something funny, etc. He says the more we have on our to-do list, the more we have to check off and therefore feel more accomplished!
- Exercise – Working up a sweat puts a demarcation (a dividing line) in the day. After a workout, all the stress that we previously felt piled up on our shoulders can now be seen laterally laid out before us. This helps change our mindset and we feel better equipped to handle our to-do list one item at a time without feeling a burden on our shoulders.
These were the common denominators of what he was doing when vibing high! Sounds pretty good to me. What do you think?
One thought on “The 7 Rules of McConaughey”
Love those points!! Vibing high is the best high!